Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Avocado!



I just read this article about Avocado and the healthy skin and hair benefits that are associated with it and I had to pat myself on the back! I had planned to use avocado in my hair tonight!! About 2 years ago I was reading about pre-poos on www.longhaircareforum.com. Pre-poo is short for a pre shampoo treatment. You can do this with plenty of different items that will help your hair with moisture, shine, and softness. Sort of like a hot oil treatment. Well, I had read about many different concoctions that people have tried for their pre-poos and I wanted to make one myself. I did it a few times back in 2008 and I really liked how my hair felt afterwards, but it definitely takes time and I think that's why I had stopped doing them.
Here's what I did and what I plan to do tonight:
Create my pre-poo mixture -

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) - I really like EVOO for hair.
Avocado - I will probably use a half of one
Honey - to make it thicker maybe? not sure why I used honey before
conditioner - just any old conditioner that I already have

Mix together and warm in microwave for about 30-60 seconds.
Part my hair in sections and paint on mixture at roots sort of like you would a relaxer.
Then work it in all of my hair and definitely put it on the ends.
Cover with a plastic cap and wait about an hour. I will probably use my Heat Therapy Wrap that I bought a few weeks ago.
After an hour I will rinse it out, then shampoo as normal followed by my weekly deep conditioning treatment (30mins).
Blow Dry and Flat Iron ( haven't used either since last Tuesday!!!)
WHEW!!! I told you this takes time. I probably won't finish all of this until 10PM.
Pre-poos are great when you have the time. I'm making the time tonight because my hair needs some TLC right now. I hope to keep up the hard work but I know this may get tedious.

Here's the article if you want to read about what they say about avocados. They even have a Avocado Conditioner Recipe at the bottom of the article.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/luscious-avocado?utm_source=nc_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20100727

1 comment:

  1. I just realized that my post didn't "post". Thanks for sharing this. I LOVE to eat avocados! I can only imagine the good it will do!
    YOU, my dear, need to have a LOVE IT, button!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete